About The Project
Many of us here have participated in football prediction games with friends, normally resulting in us parting with money we never see again. On top of this they usually require someone manually managing selections which is time consuming, but also gives them an insight into who others are picking which doesn’t seem fair.
A side project to make this process less manual and more secure then took shape. As with many side projects, this one gained traction, and The Special One was born.
The Special One is the latest online football prediction game. It stands out from the rest as it is based on traditional Last Man Standing rules, making it really quick and easy to play.
It’s completely free to play, with prizes available for picking one team a round to win. It couldn’t be simpler. Play against friends for a chance to win. Join now and see what all the fuss is about!
- Both the user and administration front-ends are developed using the Grails framework built on Groovy (Java), and using Spring security.
- Rabbit MQ and Java microservice listeners decouple all of the asynchronous and heavy processing from the web apps.
- The application integrates with Cloudinary, SendGrid, Facebook, and Twitter, to provide a fully functioning cloud service solution.
- A mobile app has been developed using Xamarin and Realm Db which will be released for the next season.
- The Special One started being developed in 2015.
- It was soft launched in 2016 (closed-alpha).
- It was fully released at the start of the 2017/18 season.
- The mobile app will be released at the start of the 2018/19 season.
- The application requires very little human interaction.
- We have integrated 2 different third-party result feeds for peace of mind.
- It has been written with scalability in mind and has excellent throughput.
- It was developed to be fully GDPR compliant from initiation, saving us time in the run up to May 2018.
- It is fully translatable for when we decide to take the continent by storm!